Serving: 8 Persons
- 250g good-quality milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 (450g) raspberries
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) grappa
- 4 eggs, separated, plus 1 extra egg white
- 125g caster sugar
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups (500ml) strong black coffee
- 14 large sponge fingers (savoiardi)
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (don’t let bowl touch the water) until chocolate melts, then remove bowl and stir chocolate until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Set aside a quarter of raspberries, then place remainder in a bowl with icing sugar and 2 tbs grappa. Leave to macerate until needed.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick. Beat in the mascarpone, followed by the cooled chocolate. Using a clean bowl and beaters, beat eggwhites to stiff peaks, then fold into chocolate mix.
- Place coffee in a dish with remaining 2 tablespoons grappa. Dip half the sponge fingers briefly in mixture, then layer in a 2-litre (8-cup) dish, trimming to fit in a single layer. Spread half the chocolate mixture over sponge, then top with macerated berries. Dip remaining sponge in coffee mixture, then layer on top of berries, followed by remaining chocolate. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Dust liberally with cocoa and garnish with reserved raspberries to serve.
In summers what is better than a refreshing desert made of raspberries and chocolate. Italian summer pudding is delicious and refreshing.