The multi-talented and very much acclaimed Pakistani Designer Zara Shahjahan is known for her elite and trendy wears. Zara Shahjahan has been presenting her marvelous collection each year at PFDC L’Oréal Paris Bridal Week. The designer presented diverse range of bridal formals, semi formals and prêt clothing for all young fashion seeking ladies. Amalgamation of dramatic colors, oriental prints heavy eastern embellishments and marked a significant departure from Zara Shahjahan’s past collections.
Zara’s choice of innovative designs set in a rich color palette distinguishes her collection from the rest. Bright color patterns and schemes in Luxe fabrics like raw silk, cotton net, tulle and jamawar. The designer has deep aesthetic sense of designing and her professional experience of dealing with diverse clientele has polished her fashion skills even more.
1. How do you perceive fashion and style?
Fashion evolves with time .Style is personal, it is what defines you.
2. For our viewers please share your successful career profile with us?
The brand has successfully showcased at different PFDC pret weeks since 2010. Its latest foray into the PFDC bridal week 2013 with the collection ‘True love’ was also a major hit. In 2014, Zara Shahjahan showcased her pret a porter collection ‘Love Bug’ at PSFW 2014 and also participated at PFDC Bridal Week 2014 this year with a collection titled ‘A Folk Tale’. The brand has also participated internationally, showcasing at Fashion Parade London 2014 and Lakme Fashion Week 2014 this year.
3. What are the qualities you think have brought you to this level where you are today?
Hardwork and discipline is what makes people successful.
4. In what general area of design do you work or wish to work?
We work on everyday apparel that is available off the rack as well as couture.
5. How do you stay up to date with fashion?
The Internet keeps the fashion world very well connected.
6. What made you decide to pursue a career in fashion?
I used to design my own clothes in college and was greatly appreciated by my family and friends for all that I used to wear. Very soon I started making clothes for people around me and that’s when I formally started the brand Zara Shahjahan.
7. What do you consider the most important facets of the fashion industry?
Each facet is important. From the product to how it is marketed to fashion weeks.
8. How do you think your education has prepared you to work in fashion?
I have graduated from NCA in miniature painting. I did not receive formal fashion education. It is my passion for design that has brought me here.
9. Where would you like your career in fashion to lead you?
We aspire to be an international Lifestyle brand one day.
10. Do you ever face criticism?
Yes everyone faces criticism and it is always healthy.
11. How did you plan to design outfits for house wives and for ordinary women?
We make clothes for women who want to feel beautiful and confident in their everyday life. From house wives to working women and young girls, Zara Shahjahan caters to the modern woman.
12. You have participated in many Pakistani fashion weeks; please share any of your wonderful experience with us?
Each fashion week is a great experience that always brings with it learning and experience. I really enjoyed Lakme Fashion Week India as it was tremendous learning process. From being extremely organized to at a much larger scale than Pakistani Fashion Weeks, Lakme taught me a lot and bought back many key ideas that I’d want to implement in our own fashion industry.
13. What do you think are the current and future trends in fashion?
Fashion is always evolving. Winter trends are all about dark colors, straighter more androgynous silhouettes. We are experimenting a lot with traditional embroideries and designs.
14. Any advice for emerging fashion designers?
Work hard and always be true to yourself.
Zara Shahjahan has a simple philosophy that when â€œA woman wears an outfit she will say to herself: â€œWow, I am beautiful.â€