1. Tell us about Brand, Erum Khan? What makes it unique from other fashion houses?
Erum Khan is a high fashioned brand which deals in couture, bridal, formals, semi formals and luxury pret. I believe fashion is the highest form of artistic expression and movement. I make people look more expressive which makes me unique and sets me apart from other fashion houses.
2. Are you self taught or did you study fashion design?
I am a self taught person; it took me years of hard work to grow from zero to millionaire.
3. What sparked your interest in fashion?
I have been interested in fashion since I was a kid. I would say I probably got my start when I first started playing with Barbie dolls and started sewing my dolls’ clothes. Also, I plunk down to watch any old Hollywood classic movies or costume dramas and do my best to emulate the styles for my dolls. When asked, I would tell people I wanted to be a designer when I grew up. I never got to go to design school.
4. What is your design philosophy?
Our design philosophy is simple. What we are trying to accomplish with the design is what others think a design should accomplish.
5. What kind of research goes into your collection?
We don’t believe in conducting random research. When we start a project we brainstorm the ideas and come up with a proper theme. From there we build up story boards and mood boards eventually finalizing a collection.
6. What made you to take fashion more seriously and make a career out of it?
I am a business woman. My main purpose of doing something is to make money out of it. As I said earlier, I have been a fashion person from the start and I confidently believed that I could make money out of it. So I took it up seriously, worked hard ultimately earning my profound success.
7. What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your company?
I had learned to never lend your company to anyone else. Because it’s your responsibility. You have to be sincere in work and to your company.
8. How is your work received internationally?
I have always received immense appreciation whenever I have worked for the international market. And that, to me has always been a feeling of great gratitude.
9. What do you think about designer lawn trend going on now days? How do you see this current approach by designers bringing their own prints?
Honestly, as a business woman, my main approach to any business idea is a money making technique. And I believe that is a great idea of how to make money.
10. Do you feel there’s a significant interest for young designers at the moment?
Yes, young designers always hold a significant importance since they have sharp minds and they come up with great ideas. This is exactly why I have always warmly welcomed young designers.
11. What advice would you give to young designers?
Work hard, be responsible, be confident and defend your work and keep a fine line between your professional and personal life. The market demands style out of a business woman like me. Anyone capable of making a sellable design is a designer for me.
Famous fashion designer Erum Khan exclusive interview about his career, education, personal goals and much more is just right here for his fans.