Skin Tags are raised skin flaps that sometimes appear on arms, neck and back. Skin tags are annoying ang look disgusting but the good thing is that, these are actually harmless.
Skin tags are medically called fibroepithelial polyps and are benign skin lesions made up of normal fat and skin tissue. These are generally formed in areas where the skin rubs together like armpit, groin, neck. They are also seen around eyelids. Even though these are not dangerous but still they are annoying and look bad. Here we are providing you with sure shot methods to remove skin tags
• Home remedies for removing skin tags • Medical procedures for skin tags • Cost of medical treatment for removing skin tags • Risk factors and Prevention of skin tags
Home Remedies for Removal of Skin Tags
Skin tags are not serious. So, they do not require visit to the doctor. If you wish to remove a skin tag, you can do it with the products that are already at your home. Most of the home remedies for skin tag removal are related to drying out the skin tags till they become smaller in size and fall off on their own.
Safe and easy Skin tag removal using Tea Tree Oil
If you are not able to remove the skin tag yourself, don’t get disheartened. Consult a dermatologist. The doctor will first numb your area with local anaesthesia and then perform one of the following procedures on the basis of the location and size of the lesion.
• Cryosurgery • Cauterization • Laser surgery • Basic surgery
Cryosurgery: A small amount of liquid nitrogen is sprayed on the skin tag which freezes the growth and it is removed then.
Cauterization: This process makes use of heat to close a wound or remove the growth from the body.
Laser surgery: The skin tags are removed very precisely with the help of laser.
Surgery: The skin tag is snipped off at the base with surgical scissors. The need for stitches will depend on the size and location of the skin tag.
Cost of treatment of skin tags
Skin tag removal can cost you anywhere between $100-$500. The cost varies depending on location, deductibles, insurance, how many skin tags are to be removed and which physician you go to.
Risk Factors and prevention for Skin Tags
1. Age: Skin tags can occur to anyone but adults have greater chances of getting them as compared to children. Men and women stand an equal chance of getting the skin tags.
2. Obesity: In obese people, there is more chance that the skin will rub against itself and this friction will result in skin tags especially under the arms, along the neck, between the thighs
3. Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the body is in a state of growth and all types of lesions grow on skin. So, the excessive growth, with so much more weight and gestational diabetes possibly with increase in friction in areas like underarms and inner thighs could all lead to the development of skin tags.
4. Diabetes: There is a strong correlation between skin tags and diabetes. Though the reason for it is not known yet but it could be the body’s resistance to insulin. In case of diabetes, there is increased chances of developing skin tags.
Preventing Skin Tags
Wash the affected area. With a cotton swab, gently massage the oil over the skin tag. Put a bandage on the area for the night. Do this treatment several times till the tag dries out and falls from the skin.
Using Banana peel for skin tag removal
Place a banana peel on the skin tag and cover it with a bandage. Repeat it every night till the tag falls out.
Apple cider vinegar for skin tags
Soak a cotton swab in ACV and put on the skin tag. Cover it with a bandage for 15-20 minutes. Then wash the skin. Continue it for a few weeks. The acidic nature of ACV causes the tissues around the skin tag to break and fall off.
Messaging with liquid Vitamin E
If you apply liquid vitamin E on a skin tag, it will vanish the growth in a few days. Just massage the oil on the tag and surrounding skin.
Crushed Garlic for skin tag removal
To do away with skin tag, apply crushed garlic on the tag and cover the area with a bandage. Wash it in the morning and continue till the skin tag shrinks and disappears.
Medical procedures for removal of skin tags
• Do not wear necklaces or jewellery that rubs on the skin • Have a healthy diet and lifestyle. Keep blood sugar levels low • Lose extra weight to prevent skin folds which can eventually cause skin tags.
So, skin tags are harmless and treatment is not required unless it causes irritation. Home remedies and OTC treatments are effective and inexpensive remedies but if a skin tag does not respond to these treatments and continues to bleed and grow, in that case you must see a dermatologist. There are many procedures which can remove skin tag with very less pain and scarring.
Finally, you should get the changes in skin like skin tags and moles examined by the physician to rule out all chances of conditions like skin cancer. If you get anything from this post, I hope it is these two things: What you should do and what you should not do to get rid of skin tags.